Normal processing time
1 month

Processing fee
DKK 6,290,-

Who can get permission to work on a mobile workplace at sea?

A permit under this scheme can be granted if you are employed on a mobile drilling rig, drilling ship or another vessel that enters Danish territory for a short time to perform work, typically under contract with a company in Denmark.

This includes among others, employees on pipelaying or windmill construction vessels, and similar tasks.

What are the conditions?

You must have been offered a job on a mobile drilling ship, rig or another mobile vessel that is performing short-term tasks on Danish naval territory, typically under contract with a company in Denmark.

The permit is conditional on the individual employee before the stay in Danish territory having had either:

  • a similar position on the mobile vessel, or

  • a similar position in the foreign company in charge of the vessel.

The permit is also conditional on the type of tasks performed on the mobile workplaces at sea. The tasks must be

  • short-term tasks in Danish territory, and

  • tasks performed by specialized vessels, that leave Danish naval territory after the fulfillment of the tasks in question.

Your salary, holiday conditions, notice of termination, etc. must not be inferior to the standard in the field in which you are to work.

If SIRI is in doubt about whether your salary and employment terms correspond to Danish standards, we can ask experts in the field, eg Dansk Metal Maritime, to assess your terms.

When you apply, you must enclose a copy of your employment contract or job offer. All terms of employment must be stated in the contract or offer.

You can see which information the employment contract must include here

What are my rights, if I am granted a permit?

What are you allowed to do with a Danish residence and work permit as an employee on a mobile workplace, and what are you not allowed to do?

You are only allowed to work in the position and in the company (and on the specific vessel) that you have been granted a permit to work in.

If you are offered a new position, you must apply for a new permit. This also applies if you are offered a new position in the same company, for example on a different vessel.

A Danish residence and work permit does not allow you to work in other Schengen countries.

How long can I stay in Denmark?

The permit can be granted for the limited period (typically 1-3 months), in which the mobile vessel is situated in Danish naval territory.

If you work rotating shifts (X numbers of weeks at the mobile workplace and X numbers of weeks off/you are on land), please note that you must apply for a residence and work permit for each individual period you will be working in Danish naval territory.

A residence permit can only be valid until 3 months before the expiry date of your passport.

If your passport has a shorter validity than the otherwise possible period of stay, your residence permit will be shortened. This means that the validity of your residence permit will be shorter than it could be. When you have renewed your passport, you can apply for an extension of your residence permit – however, this can only be done 3 months before your permit expires at the earliest. Read more about the passport requirements

What should I do, if I lose or change my job?

If you are granted a permit based on the scheme, your residence and work permit are linked to your position at the time of application. Your job position is the basis for your permit.

You must always inform SIRI if you lose your job or change your position.

Your work permit is limited to the employment that is the basis for your permit.  You are not allowed to work in other positions than the one stated in your permit.This also applies if you are offered a new position in the same company. for example on a different vessel.

If you get a new position while working in Denmark, or get a position in the same company but on a different vessel, you must submit a new application for a residence and work permit with information on your new employment/the new vessel.

When you have submitted your new application, you can start working, even though you have not yet been granted a permit.

Regarding large application groups

When a mobile vessel with a large group of applicants has to perform work on Danish naval territory, the employer, or their party representative, can submit the applications for all of the vessel's applicants together, meaning that for example only one fee has to be paid. All applicants must stil have their biometrics recorded.

You can get further information regarding this collective application process by contacting SIRI by telephone: +45 72 14 20 03 or via SIRI's contact formular.

It is a good idea to gather the necessary documents before you start to complete the application form. You can use the check list below.

If you submit documents not written in English, German, Norwegian, Swedish or Danish, you must also submit certified translations into Danish or English.

You must submit

Expect to use

30 minutes

completing the application

2 persons

You and your employer are each required to complete a part of the form.

In this step you and your employer, or their party representative, have access to the relevant application forms.

Make sure that you have completed all the preceeding steps before you begin.

All our application forms contain careful instructions on how to complete the form and what kind of documents you must submit along with the form.

You can read more about how we process your personal data here.

You can choose between these two online application forms:

  • AR1, in which you and your employer/party representative each are required to complete separate parts of the form
  • AR6, in which you grant your employer/party representative power of attorney to apply on your behalf

In the AR1 form, your employer/party representative must complete the first of the two parts of the form. When your employer/party representative has completed their part, a reference number and password will be shown, which they must pass on to you. You are then able to open the online application and complete your part.

In the AR6 form only your employer/party representative must complete the form.

Read more about power of attorney and download an approved power of attorney standard here.

Make sure you have all documents ready in digital form, in order to attach them as you complete the application form.

If you do not have a MitID, you must sign, scan and attach to the application the document 'Sworn declarations and information'.

You can download the document 'Sworn declarations and information' here (also available in the form)


Use the form AR1                    Use the form AR6


Please note that it is mandatory to use this application form. Under special circumstances, you can be exempted from the requirement to use an online application form. You can read more here.

When you apply for a residence permit, you must have your biometric features recorded. This means that you must have a facial photo taken and your fingerprints recorded. The facial photo and your fingerprints will be stored on a microchip embedded in the residence card, which will be issued to you if you are granted a permit.

If you do not agree to have your biometric features recorded, your application will be rejected. This means that your application will not be processed.

Read more about biometrics here.

You must have your biometric features recorded no later than 14 days after you submitted your application.

If you are unable to have your biometric features recorded within the time limit of 14 days, because you are unable to book an appointment at a Danish diplomatic mission, you can inform us of the appointed time you will have your biometrics recorded. This way you can avoid having your application rejected.

You are abroad

You can have your biometric features recorded at a Danish diplomatic mission or an application centre in the country, where you reside.

See the Ministry of Foreign Affairs’ list of diplomatic missions or application centres where you can have your biometric features recorded

In certain countries Denmark does not have a diplomatic mission or application centre. In these instances the list will refer you to one of the Norwegian missions with which Denmark has made an agreement or to the nearest Danish diplomatic mission or application centre in the region.

If you submit your application to a Norwegian diplomatic mission, you must also submit one passport photo. If you are granted a residence permit based on your application, you must within a specific time frame afte you entry to Denmark have your biometric features recorded.

We recommend that you visit the local diplomatic mission’s webpage to get more information before you submit the application. The individual diplomatic mission can have additional requirements regarding payment of additional fees, submission of additional passport photos or additional copies of the application.

You are in Denmark

If you are residing legally in Denmark, you are normally able to have your biometric features recorded in Denmark. This is the case, if you:

  • hold a valid visa
  • are exempt from the visa requirement or
  • already hold a valid residence permit.

Read more about the legal residence requirement and submission of your application in Denmark. 

You can have your biometric features recorded in one of SIRI’s branch offices.

If you plan to have your biometrics recorded in one of SIRI’s branch offices, you must remember to book an appointment. 

You have submitted your application succesfully if you have:

  • created a case order ID
  • paid the fee
  • submitted the application
  • had your biometric features recorded

You can see the normal case processing time to the right on this page. When we make a decision in your case, you will receive an answer.

SIRI will contact you or your employer if we need further information to process your case.

Read more about what you can expect while you are waiting for an answer.

Responsible agency

Contact SIRI