The expected maximum processing time is
7 months

The fee is
DKK 9,750,-

Who can be granted family reunification as an ‘other family member’?

In very special situations, you can be granted family reunification to live with a family member in Denmark who is neither your spouse/partner nor your parent. If you are approved for family reunification, you will be granted a residence permit under the terms of Aliens Act section 9 (1). The provision is administered restrictively and applicants for a residence permit issued on these grounds are rarely approved.

This means that you can only be granted a residence permit as an ‘other family member’ if turning down your application would go against Denmark's international obligations, such as Article 8 of the European Human Rights Convention, concerning the right to a family life.

The focus of Article 8 is the traditional, European nuclear family, that is, father, mother and minor children. Consequently, Denmark will only allow family reunification between parents and children over 18 in very special situations.

An application for family reunification submitted by a parent seeking to live with a child in Denmark who is under 18 will be considered an application from an ‘other family member’.

Special rules apply to the groups below:

What are the requirements?

When assessing whether turning down your application for a residence permit would go against Denmark's international obligations, the Immigration Service will consider a number of factors, including: 

The Immigration Service will consider whether a family life that is worth protecting has been established. Some of the things we will consider are:

  • whether the attachment between the two of you exceeds what follows from your familial ties alone,
  • whether you were a long-term member of the household of the person now residing in Denmark,
  • whether your family member has supported you financially before and after coming to Denmark,
  • whether a health condition makes it impossible for you to support yourself, and, if this is the case
  • whether there are individuals or social institutions in your home country that can care for you.

If you are an adult and you are applying for family reunification to live with your minor child living in Denmark, you are also considered an ‘other family member’.

If the child’s other parent is your spouse, your entire family situation will be considered, and you should apply for a residence permit on the grounds of family reunification with a spouse instead. Read more about family reunification for spouses

If the child’s other parent is not your spouse (your former spouse, for example), the decisive factor will be how much interaction you have had with the child, and the child’s attachment to Denmark.

If you are a citizen of a non-EU country, and if you are the parent of a minor who is a Danish citizen living in Denmark, and if you provide for that child, EU regulations may entitle you to a residence permit. This follows from the special European Court of Justice Zambrano case. Read more about the Zambrano case

Which type of residence permit will you be granted?

If your application for family reunification is approved, you will initially be granted a temporary residence permit, typically valid for two years. If you and the person in Denmark still meet the requirements for residency, your residence permit can be extended. Read more about extending residence permits

If you are granted a residence permit in Denmark, you may work during the same period as the residence permit is valid.

The information below explains how to apply for a residence permit based on family reunification.

We recommend that you make sure you meet the requirements for family reunification before paying the application fee. Read more about the requirements in the ‘Need to know’ tab.


When submitting an application or appeal with a fee, you must first create a case order ID.

Case type:

Family Reunification


DKK 9,750,-

Information about the applicant

The information is incorrect
The information is incorrect

Are you sure you do not want to receive a receipt by mail?

The information is incorrect

Are you exempt from paying the fee?

Are you sure a fee is not required to be paid in your case?

Only certain applicants are exempt from paying a fee. If the immigration authorities decide at a later stage that the applicant/appelant is not exempt from paying a fee, the application/appeal will be rejected.
If you have paid a fee and the following case handling shows that the fee should not have been paid, the whole fee will be refunded.

In certain cases the fee is not warranted (fee exemption). Examples are:

  • The Association Agreement between the EU and Turkey
  • Denmark’s international obligations

You are still required to create a case order ID, even if you are not required to pay a fee.

If you have paid a fee and it is not warranted, the whole fee will be refunded.

Read more about Fee exemption

The information is incorrect

All fees are regulated every year on 1 January. Make sure to create your Case Order ID, pay the fee and submit your application in the same calendar year. If you pay the fee before 1 January and submit your application after 1 January, your application may be rejected.

If no case order ID is shown in the field below, please type your case order ID and click on View payment status.

The information is incorrect The information is incorrect
The information is incorrect

Payment options

You and the person in Denmark each need to fill in part of the application form. You will also need to enclose documentation. It is a good idea to gather the documentation before you start.

You may need:

Set aside

30 to 40 minutes

to fill in the application form

2 persons

You and the person you are applying to live with in Denmark each need to fill in part of the application form.

The application form includes detailed instructions for how to fill it in and which types of documentation you can attach.

The person in Denmark needs MitID when filling in the application form. Read more about MitID

If you want to resume filling in an application form online select ‘Start online application’. Once you are logged in, select ‘Continue a previously saved application’.

If you would like to make changes to an application after you have submitted it, you need to contact the Immigration Service. You do not need to submit a new application. Contact the Immigration Service

Start SG1-2 online application

We encourage you to use the digital application form. It adapts according to your answers and is automatically send to the Immigration Service, when you have submitted it.

You can also print out and submit the application form. You can fill in the application form in Word format on your computer before printing it out. The application form is also available as a PDF file that can be printed out and filled in by hand.

Download a printable version of SG1 in Word format

Download a printable version of SG1 in pdf format

Applying from abroad

You can submit your application at a Danish mission (embassy or consulate), or an outsourcing office in the country where you live.

See the list of Danish missions or outsourcing offices where you can hand in your application

If there is no Danish mission or outsourcing offices in the country where you live, the list refers to missions Denmark shares a representation agreement with, e.g. Norway or Sweden. If there is no representation agreement, the list refers to the nearest Danish mission or outsourcing office in the region.

The Immigration Service recommends that you visit the website of the closest embassy or consulate before you submit your application. Individual offices might have additional requirements, such as extra passport photos or copies of your application.

Applying in Denmark

If you are in Denmark legally, you can normally submit your application in Denmark. You are in Denmark legally if you:

  • hold a valid visa
  • are not required to hold a visa, or
  • hold a valid Danish residence permit.

You can submit your application to the Immigration Service’s Citizen Service. You must book an appointment before you show up at the Citizen Service. Read more about where the Immigration Service’s Citizen Service has branch offices and how you book an appointment

You can also send your application to the Immigration Service in the post.

Read more about the rules for submitting your application in Denmark 

When you submit your application, you will normally need to have your fingerprints recorded and a picture of your face taken. These are also known as your biometric features. Your biometric features are required in order for you to get a new residence card.

When you live with your parent in Denmark, you don’t need a residence card. If you don’t want a card, you don’t need to have your fingerprints or picture taken.

Read more about residence cards with fingerprints and facial pictures

Responsible Agency

Contact us