You who apply for family reunification of spouses can meet 1 of the conditions in the integration requirement, if you can document that you have passed an English test at B1 level or a test equivalent to or at a higher level held by a recognised language-training organisation.

The language level for B1

An international standardising of the levels of language skills has been put together. It is called the Common European Framework of Reference (CEFR). The description divides the language levels into 6 different steps: A1, A2, B1, B2, C1 and C2, where A1 is the lowest level and C2 is the highest level. C2 is close to the level of a native language speaker.

In order to pass a test at B1 level, you must be able to understand the main points of clear standard input on familiar matters regularly encountered in work, school, leisure, etc.

If you have passed a test at a recognised language-training organisation, but not sure what level the test is on, you can get the answer by contacting the organisation.

Recognised language-training organisation

In order to meet the condition about English language skills at B1 level in connection to the integration requirement you must have a test certificate from a recognised language-training organisation.

A number of countries use the CEFR to assure the quality of their language tests for foreigners. Tests from organisations that are members of ALTE (Association of Language Testers in Europe), and recognised language-training organisations in the USA (TOEFL) and Australia and New Zealand (IELTS) are examples of tests from recognized language-training organisation.

List of test equivalent to or higher than level B1

Download list of test equivalent to or higher than level B1 (In Danish only) (pdf)