Processing fee
No fee

Normal processing time
3 months

Who can apply for a residence permit?

You can apply for a residence permit in the Faroe Islands as a PhD if: 

  • you are enrolled as a PhD student at a Danish or Faroese university and receive a salary from the university or a company affiliated with the PhD programme, 
  • you are enrolled in a PhD programme without receiving a salary or
  • as a visiting PhD if you are enrolled in a PhD programme abroad and wish to do a part of your programme in the Faroe Islands.

As the Faroe Islands is not part of the EU/EEA, you must apply for a residence permit with SIRI if you are a citizen from an EU/EEA country. Citizens of Nordic countries (Denmark, Norway, Sweden, Finland and Iceland) do not need visa or permit to reside and work in the Faroe Islands.

What rights do I have, if I am granted a permit?

What are you allowed to do with a residence permit as a PhD student in the Faroe Islands? – and what are you not allowed to do?

A residence permit allows you to stay and study in the Faroe Islands for the period your permit is valid.

A residence permit does not give you the right to reside in the Schengen area. 

If you have been living legally in the Faroe Islands for less than two years, you can reside outside the Faroe Islands up to 6 months. 

If you need to stay abroad for a longer period of time, you can apply for dispensation to prevent your permit from lapsing.


You are allowed to work full-time at the university in which you have been enrolled or in the company affiliated to your PhD programme. This only applies to work tasks that are part of your PhD programme and only for the duration of you study.

In addition to your residence and work permit as a PhD student, you are also granted a limited work permit allowing you to take up additional employment besides your full-time job as a PhD student or visiting PhD student. 

The limited work permit allows you to work:

  • for up to 15 hours per week during the normal period of study from September to May, and
  • full-time through June, July and August.

If you work more hours than allowed, it will be regarded as illegal work. Illegal work can result in a warning, a fine, or your residence permit as a student can be revoked. You can read more about that here.

During your residence you must be able to support yourself and your family. Thus, you are not allowed to receive any public benefits. 

If you or your family member receives any public benefits during your stay, your residence permit will be revoked – and you will lose the right to reside in the Faroe Islands. 


What are the conditions?

It is a requirement that you have been enrolled in a PhD programme in the Faroe Islands, if you are doing a full degree.

If you are only going to do part of your programme in the Faroe Islands as a visiting PhD student, it is a requirement that you are enrolled in a PhD programme abroad and that you are associated with a Faroese educational institution. 

As a PhD student, you can be employed by a university or by a company and receive a salary while you are enrolled in the PhD programme.

You can also be a PhD student without employment and salary. 

If you are employed by a university or by a company, your self-support is secured by your salary.

Please note that if you do receive a salary as a PhD student, then we will send your case for hearing at the Útlendingastovan

If you are not employed and, thus, do not receive any salary, you must have sufficient funds to support yourself during your residence in the Faroe Islands

You have sufficient funds, if your disposable amount is in accordance with the monthly grant amount awarded by Studni (The Faroese Student Grant Fund) for the number of months you plan to stay in the Faroe Islands

Documentation of your ability to provide for yourself and any accompanying family members could be in the form of a bank statement (in your name).

You must be able to speak and understand the language of instruction. You must be able to understand either Danish, Swedish, Norwegian, English or German at a reasonable level. 

How long can I stay in the Faroe Islands

You can stay in the Faroe Islands for the standard (nominal) duration of your PhD programme, however not more than one year from the date of permit. The permit can subsequently be extended for up to one year at a time.

If you do not complete your PhD programme within the nominal period of study, it is important that you apply for an extension.

Make sure to apply for an extension before your permit expires, however not earlier than three months before the expiration date. 

If you change to a different PhD programme, you must apply for a new residence permit based on the new programme.  You can, however start your new programme while you wait for us to reach a decision regarding the new application.

A residence permit can only be valid until 3 months before the expiry date of your passport.

If your passport has a shorter validity than the otherwise possible period of stay, your residence permit will be shortened. This means that the validity of your residence permit will be shorter than it could be. When you have renewed your passport, you can apply for an extension of your residence permit.

Can my family be granted a residence permit?

A residence and work permit based on studies in the Faroe Islands gives the possibility for your family to come with you to the Faroe Islands. 

A permit can after application be granted to your spouse, registered or cohabiting partner as well as children under the age of 18 living at home.

Read more about bringing accompanying family members to the Faroe Islands here.

What more do I need to know before I apply?

An application for a residence permit on the basis of PhD studies is processed by the Danish Agency for International Recruitment and Integration (SIRI). If you are in the Faroe Islands when submitting the application, you must be there legally. 

You must either be enrolled at a Faroese university as a PhD student or at your home university (only for visiting PhD student) to be able to apply. 

You can submit the application by clicking on the tab ’How to apply’ on the right. There, you will also have access to the relevant application form, PHD1.

Your educational institution must fill in one of the two parts of the application form, and it is often the institution that begins the application process. 

SIRI will contact you or your educational institution if we need further information to process your case.


Below you will find a step-by-step guide to submitting an application to the Danish Agency for International Recruitment and Integration (SIRI).

It is important that you have carefully read the conditions for being granted a residence permit before you begin step 1. You can do this on the tab “Need to know” on the left.

It is a good idea to gather the necessary documents before you start to complete the application form. You can use the check list below.

If you submit documents not written in English, German, Norwegian, Swedish or Danish, you must also submit certified translations into Danish or English.

You must submit

Expect to use

30-40 minutes

per persom to complete the application form.

2 persons

You and your educational institution are each required to complete a part of the form.

In this step you and your educational institution have access to the relevant application form.

Make sure that you have read all the relevant information on the tab 'Need to know' and gather documentation according to step 1 before you begin.

All our application forms contain careful instructions on how to complete the form and what kind of documents you must submit along with the form.

In the application form PHD1 your educational institution must complete part 2. When your educational institution has completed their part, you must complete part 1. Once parts 1 and 2 have been completed, they must be submitted together – read more in the next step.

You must submit the necessary documents together with the application.

The application form in Word format can be completed on screen before you print. The application form in PDF format should first be printed and then completed by hand.


Download the printable form PHD1 (Word format) 

Download the printable form PHD1 (PDF format) 

You are submitting the application abroad

The application can be submitted to a Danish diplomatic mission or an application centre in the country where you are residing.

See the Ministry of Foreign Affairs’ list of diplomatic missions or application centres where you can hand in your application

In certain countries Denmark does not have a diplomatic mission or application centre. In these instances the list will refer you to one of the Norwegian missions with which Denmark has made an agreement or to the nearest Danish diplomatic mission or application centre in the region.

If you submit your application at a Norwegian diplomatic missions centre, you must at the same time submit two facial photos. 

We recommend that you visit the local diplomatic mission’s webpage to get more information before you submit the application. The individual diplomatic mission can have additional requirements regarding payment of additional fees, submission of additional passport photos or additional copies of the application.

You are submitting the application in Denmark

If you are residing legally in Denmark, you are normally able to submit the application in Denmark. This is the case, if you:

  • hold a valid visa
  • is exempt from the visa requirement or
  • already hold a valid residence permit.

Read more about the legal residence requirement and submission of your application in Denmark. 

You can submit the application in SIRI’s Citizen Centre in Copenhagen. If you live outside the Greater Copenhagen area, you can also submit the application at a local police station with facilities for recording biometrics.

If you plan to submit you application in SIRI’s Citizen Centre, you must remember to book an appointment.

See a list of local police stations, where you can submit your application.

You can also send the application to SIRI. 


You are submitting the application in the Faroe Islands

Generally, you cannot submit the application in the Faroe Islands, except if you have a preceding residence permit. 

Only if very special reasons support it, and you have entered the Faroe Islands legally, a first time application can be submitted to the police in the Faroe Islands.



You can see the normal case processing time to the right on this page.

When we make a decision in your case, you will receive an answer via the Danish diplomatic representation closest to you or, if you have legal Danish residence via e-boks. If you have legal residence on the Faroe Islands you will be responded by letter to the address you informed us in your application. If you have applied directly to SIRI you will be contacted by faroese police in order to be identified and handed over the decision.

SIRI will contact you or a relevant third party if we need further information to process your case. 

Responsible agency