Published 14-03-2020 - Last updated: 25-05-2020
Updated: Information about the processing of short stay visa application after the decision about closing Denmark’s borders
Due to the worldwide COVID-19 epidemic the Danish Government has decided to close Denmark’s borders for all entries from 14 March 2020, 12 pm, unless you have a worthy purpose for entering.
For citizens of countries with a short stay visa requirement this means that everyone, who wishes to enter Denmark, will so far get a refusal for visa unless the purpose of the entry is worthy.
Worthy purposes include the following:
- visits to critically ill or dying family members
- visits to your children, foster children, parents, spouse or cohabitant partner residing in Denmark
- persons who are in the process of a medical treatment in Denmark
- persons who are attending a funeral in Denmark
- persons who will be part of a court case in Denmark
- entering with the purpose of certain types of business visits in Denmark if these cannot be postponed or executed without physical presence
- entering with the purpose of participation in a course at a folk high school in Denmark.
Spouses, cohabiting partners and children of a Danish citizen abroad who enter Denmark together with their Danish spouse/cohabitant partner for a short stay in Denmark during the COVID-19 crisis can also be granted a short stay visa. This can e.g. the case if a Danish citizen living and working abroad wishes to stay and work in Denmark in a temporary period during the COVID-19 crisis and in relation to this wishes to bring his/her family.
It is only boy- and girlfriends, who has a permanent place to live in Germany or in the Nordic countries (Sweden, Norway, Finland or Iceland), who can enter and visit a boy- or girlfriend with a permanent places to live in Denmark. They can also enter Denmark with a Danish boy- or girlfriend if the latter lives in Germany or in the Nordic countries.
The person in need of a short stay visa must still meet the ordinary requirements for a short stay visa.
Family visits apart from the ones mentioned above, entering with the purpose of tourist visits or taking holiday and the like are not considered worthy travel purposes and no short stay visas will be granted to such visits.
The short stay visa applications will be processed by the Danish Immigration Service.
You can stay informed on what is considered as worthy purposes at the police’s webpage about COVID-19